My name is Samantha Muir, or Sam. After many years as a professional classical guitarist I fell in love with the ukulele. I play and arrange instrumental ukulele music, including classical, folk and traditional music. I have self published 11 ebooks of arrangements ranging from Bach, Carulli, Sor and Giuliani to sea shanties and Christmas songs. Please visit my personal website for more detailed information about all of my ebooks and CDs. In 2015 music publisher Schott commissioned me to arrange a book called 35 Scottish Tunes for Ukulele. This book includes a CD of all 35 arrangements. My new works for classical ukulele are published by Les Productions d’OZ.
Here’s my arrangement of Annie Laurie from 35 Scottish Folk Tunes:
This is me playing my arrangement of Prelude BWV 1007 by JS Bach:
I am also interested in the history of the ukulele and play the machete de braga – one of the forerunners of the ukulele. In the photo below I am playing a machete made by Carlos Jorge Pereira Rodrigues of Funchal. The machete de braga, or machete, is from the island of Madeira where nowadays it is called a braguinha.
Below is a list of my publications. All of my scores are in TAB and notation (gCEA tuning). Unless otherwise stated they are for standard re-entrant tuning i.e. hi-g C E A. The books are for players of intermediate to advanced standard.
The following eBooks are available as PDF downloads from either Payhip or Gumroad. Click on the blue links for more information on how to purchase. Click here for more information about the booklets. You will be redirected to my personal website.
- The Little Book of Carulli (revised)
- The Little Book of Sor
- The Little Book of Carcassi
- The Little Book of Giuliani
- The Little Book of Carulli Volume 2
- The Little Books of Songs & Sea Shanties
- The Little Book of Christmas Songs
- The Little Book of Christmas Songs Volume 2
- The Little Book of Irish Tunes: Version 1 ebook only
- The Little Book of Irish Tunes: Version 2 ebook (as above) plus access to Youtube video tutorials.
- The Little Book of Right Hand Technique
- The Beauty of Uke Music Book
- 10 Easy Melodies for Ukulele
- Prelude BWV1007 by JS Bach (this is also in The Beauty of Uke Music Book)
- Gavotte II en Rondo by JS Bach
- Like Real People Do by Hozier
- The Lion Weeps Tonight (FREE)
- The Parting Glass
- Will Ye Go
- Suo Gan (FREE)
- Don Gato (FREE)
- Dona Nobis Pacem Trio
Les Productions d’OZ (available as a book or digital download from July 2018)
- 12 Progressive Studies for Ukulele
- 12 Progressive Lesson by Sor arranged for ukulele
- Theme & Variations on the Dowie Dens of Yarrow
- 21 Studies for Ukulele
- The Beauty of Uke (available as either a digital download or physical CD)
I am based in Sherborne, Dorset, UK.
This is my personal website: